In our org, some profiles have their own password policy; these overwrite the general password policy. I would like to return to having only one centralized policy. How can I do that? I cannot find a way to do this via Setup. Could I do this by updating the metadata for profiles directly?
Yes you can do it via metadata.
Thing your looking for is called ProfilePasswordPolicy
<types> <members>*</members> <name>ProfilePasswordPolicy</name> </types>
Yes, You need to remove them from each profile and then set on Organization-wide Password Policy.
Here are steps to change it on profile.
- From Setup, enter Profiles in the Quick Find box, then select Profiles. Select a profile.
- Depending on which user interface you’re using, do one of the following.
- Enhanced profile user interface—Click Password Policies, then click Edit.
- Original profile user interface—Click Edit, then scroll to the Password Policies section.
- Change the values for the profile.
Here are steps for Org wide settings.
- From Setup, enter Password Policies in the Quick Find box, then select Password Policies.
- Customize the password settings.
Some good read for you: