The Process Builder is a workflow tool that helps you easily automate your business processes by providing a powerful and user-friendly graphical representation of your process as you build it.
Lightning Process Builder
Process Builder is a workflow tool that helps you easily automate your business processes by providing a powerful and user-friendly graphical representation of your process as you build it. The Process Builder’s simple and powerful design allows you to:
- Create your processes using a convenient layout with point-and-click efficiency.
- Create your whole process in one place rather than using multiple workflow rules.
- Create processes by collaborating with different teams in your business.
- Stop using Apex code to automate simple tasks.
Automated processes in the Process Builder are based on records and consist of:
- Criteria that determine when to execute action groups.
- Immediate and scheduled actions to execute when those criteria are met.
Any change that causes a record to match the criteria can automatically trigger the action group.
You can use the more powerful and flexible Process Builder to perform the same actions as workflow. The process builder doesn’t support outbound messages, but you can easily create one yourself with Apex. With the Process Builder, you can:
- Create a record
- Update any related record—not just the record or its parent
- Use a quick action to create a record, update a record, or log a call
- Launch a flow—you can’t schedule this action with workflow
- Send an email
- Post to Chatter
- Submit for approval
If you need your process to do more than what those actions allow, don’t worry. You can also call Apex from a process.
- Sample Process: Opportunity Management
This example automates a single business process by using the Process Builder instead of workflow rules.
- Process Limits and Considerations
Before you start creating, managing, and activating processes, understand the limits and considerations.
- Setting Values in the Process Builder
Throughout the Process Builder, you need to set values, for example, to set conditions in a criteria node, to set the fields on a new case in a Create a Record action, or to specify an Apex method to reference.
- Create a Process
To create a process, define its properties and which records it should evaluate, and then add criteria nodes and actions.
- Troubleshoot Processes
Use the error messages that appear in the Process Builder and the emails you receive when a process fails to help solve problems that arise when you’re working with processes. When all else fails, look at the Apex debug logs for your processes.