Does workflows works on cross objects? I have a custom object having a picklist value and another standard object Accounts.If I update the picklist on custom object,it is possible to update the picklist on standard object with a particular value.I tried to use workflows but I think it is not possible.I alos tried to use process builder but that didn't work. Should I use trigger in this case?
You can not update parent or child record using Workflow but, using Process builder you can do this. Below steps are for child record update using process builder but similarly you can update parent record as well.
The Process Builder allows you to update child records whenever the parent record is modified. Here's how:
- Create a new Process.
- Select the Object.
- Define the Criteria.
- In "Immediate Action," select Update Records.
- Click on the "Object" drop down.
- In "Find a field," look for the child object name you want to update.
- If child object is a Custom Object the name would contain "__r" at the end.
- Select the Child Object name, and then click Save.
- In "Set Object Variables" portion, define the field that you want to update in child records.
- Click Save.
Similar steps can be used to update lookup fields using process builder too.