I've noticed quite often that sandbox instances are showing a slower performance during Metadata API and Tooling API access. Today this happened on cs14.
The force.com IDE froze completely during a "Metadata Refresh" and CodeFusion took about 100 to 400 seconds to load a single apex class. In CodeFusion I can monitor exactly what happens: the Metadata retrieval is queued and therefore it will be checked after a threshold again and again until it is finally retrieved. Typically that happens within less than 3 seconds. As far as I know, on force.com IDE (and other IDEs) something very similar happens. Switching between Tooling and Metadata API doesn't change much - if one is slow, the other one is slow either and vice versa.
I know these performance issues from other Sandbox instances (mostly cs17 and cs18 where I struggled into it last year several times). On the other hand I'm working a lot on developer orgs running on production instances (mostly on eu0-eu5 and na9 in my case) where it's nearly always fast or very fast.
The issues last year where sometimes visible on https://trust.salesforce.com/trust/status/ as yellow exclamation mark - but not always.
Now I can't see anything on cs14 - however the issue is still present.
I have several questions:
- How this transparency page works exactly? Will the entries be generated by an automatic reporting and monitoring mechanism or are they based on customer reports about issues?
- If so, is there an easy way to report performance issues?
- How high are the thresholds until performance issues will be reported there?
- Is there the same quality of service level for sandboxes and for production orgs? Or should I simply expect a somehow lower performance on Sandboxes?
- How much slower should I consider as too slow? (In my opinion > 200 seconds to retrieve Metadata which typically comes in 3 seconds it too slow)
Also for huge SOQL queries it feels way slower to work on sandboxes than production orgs, however I did not track this detailed in the logs.
- Is there any documentation on performance differences between sandboxes and production orgs?
- has anyone of you shared the experience of slow sandboxes?
- any idea on how to help to get this improved or reflected on trust.salesforce.com?