On the Contact object, the Account field is a lookup.
As such, when adding a new contact to Salesforce, there are 3 ways to fill the Account field with data:
- Click the search button, and find an existing Account within Salesforce.
- In this case, the Address listed on the Account is copied to the Contact--this copying will override any Address information previously typed in on the Contact (even if the Account's address is blank).
- Type all or part of the name of an existing Account.
- In this case, when the Contact is Saved, the Account field will be filled in with the targeted Account; however, the Address will not be copied from the Account to the Contact.
Type part of the name of more than one account.
Example: type "a" when both "ABC Company" and "A to Z Company" exist in Salesforce.
- In this case, when the Contact is saved, an Error will occur, and a picklist will be displayed with all potential matching Accounts. Upon selecting an Account and saving again, the Account will be filled, but the Address will not be copied over to the Contact.
In order to fix this, the Account Address should be copied to the Contact regardless of how the Account field is filled.
Is this a known bug? Can you reproduce it? Is there a simple fix or does this need to be reported through an official channel?