I don't know why, but I am getting this error a lot times for the past couple of hours.
An error has occurred while processing your request. The salesforce.com support team has been notified of the problem. If you believe you have additional information that may be of help in reproducing or correcting the error, please contact Salesforce Support. Please indicate the URL of the page you were requesting, any error id shown on this page as well as any other related information. We apologize for the inconvenience.
I basically have developed CRM functionality by writing Visualforce pages and Apex controllers and I also made few web service calls (getting data from external application).
Whenever, I try to delete a contact record or try to create a New Task or open an Account record, I get this type of error And when I check the debug logs, it doesn't include where my controller has stopped working.
28.0 APEX_CODE,DEBUG;APEX_PROFILING,INFO;CALLOUT,INFO;DB,INFO;SYSTEM,DEBUG;VALIDATION,INFO;VISUALFORCE,INFO;WORKFLOW,INFO 02:56:39.026 (26123456)|EXECUTION_STARTED 02:56:39.026 (26166981)|CODE_UNIT_STARTED|[EXTERNAL]|066G0000001uKmF|VF: /apex/ ContactView_VF 02:56:39.027 (27139570)|VF_DESERIALIZE_VIEWSTATE_BEGIN|066G0000001uKmF 02:56:39.397 (73921518)|CUMULATIVE_LIMIT_USAGE 02:56:39.397|LIMIT_USAGE_FOR_NS|(default)| Number of SOQL queries: 0 out of 100 Number of query rows: 0 out of 50000 Number of SOSL queries: 0 out of 20 Number of DML statements: 0 out of 150 Number of DML rows: 0 out of 10000 Maximum CPU time: 0 out of 10000 Maximum heap size: 0 out of 6000000 Number of callouts: 0 out of 10 Number of Email Invocations: 0 out of 10 Number of future calls: 0 out of 10 Number of Mobile Apex push calls: 0 out of 10 02:56:39.397|CUMULATIVE_LIMIT_USAGE_END 02:56:39.073 (73979373)|CODE_UNIT_FINISHED|VF: /apex/ContactView_VF 02:56:39.075 (75410639)|EXECUTION_FINISHED
Is there a way to resolve this and more importantly, what could possibly causing this to occur.