We have created a manage package which contains many custom fields. I know that we can not change the field type in manage package. My Question is can we change field type in Patch org? or is there any workaround for this?
Path orgs have the same restrictions as normal managed package development, except with even more of their own.
There's a good article on the salesforce docs about this that calls out the additional patch org restrictions:
- New package components can’t be added.
- Existing package components can’t be deleted.
- API and dynamic Apex access controls can’t change for the package.
- No deprecation of any Apex code.
- No new Apex class relationships, such as extends, can be added.
- No new Apex access modifiers, such as virtual or global, can be added.
- No new Web services can be added.
- No new feature dependencies can be added.
This is above and beyond the normal managed package development restrictions. They're usually used to backport bug fixes and conventionally not much more due to these restrictions, as well as the need to merge any changes back to your main packaging org.