On our experience cloud site there is an embedded google map location which throws this error everytime we open it. That map was already working earlier but now it started to produce this error in the past week.
An internal server error has occurred
An error has occurred while processing your request. The salesforce.com support team has been notified of the problem. If you believe you have additional information that may be of help in reproducing or correcting the error, please contact Salesforce Support. Please indicate the URL of the page you were requesting, any error id shown on this page as well as any other related information. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you again for your patience and assistance. And thanks for using salesforce.com!
Error ID: 1723691009-44060 (-1685232593)
I've already read through everything about gacks, and also opened a support ticket, so now I'am waiting for an answer and while waiting I opened this thread so I can help fellow developers who encounter a gack. If there is anything else I can do please let me know.
Another way is to post your experience on Stack Exchange. You can post the gack ID and stack trace ID, along with information on how it was that you encountered our lovely message. We will be able to find it there when doing our investigation.