I need to enable Person Accounts in an org that already has plenty of Accounts and Contacts. I see a lot of documentation and blog posts about how to convert Business Accounts to Person Accounts, but that's not really what I'm looking to do. Here are the main outcomes I'm hoping for:
- The existing Accounts need to be retained as Business Accounts; I don't need to convert them to Person Accounts.
- The existing Contacts should become Person Accounts. I need to be able to relate them to multiple Business Accounts through the standard AccountContactRelation junction object.
I think the right approach is the following (high-level steps here), but I'm looking for validation and/or any helpful tips from someone who has implemented this before:
- Create a new record type for Business Accounts.
- Update the existing Accounts to use the new record type.
- Enable Person Accounts.
- Insert the existing Contact records as new Person Account records.
- Insert ACR junction records to relate the new Person Account records with the correct Business Account records.
- Delete the Contact records.