Recently I was presented with a bug in which Global Search doesn't return any cases when I search for a value stored in a custom Text field inside the case. In my tests to replicate the error I, as a sys admin, was able to perform the search, whereas logged in as a consultant, I was not.
I read that, aside from searchable custom fields, in order for a field to be searchable, it has to be marked as read and edit in the object settings on the profile. I checked on both profiles and they are. I also checked the record type for the consultant and it seems ok too.
Now, when I'm logged in as a consultant and I wrap the search around quotation marks, it does return, but according to the area supervisor, this isn't the normal behaviour, as they were able to just paste the string on the global searchbar, hit enter and it returned the specific case they were looking for. This is the behaviour that occurs when I'm logged in as an admin.
I'm at loss on this one. I can't think of a solution for this occurrence, as the field, being a Text type, according to the Salesforce Documentation should be searchable, the consultant profile has access to the field, it is in its layout, and the record type is configured accordingly.
I'm sorry in advance if my questioning seems like a beginners one. In fact, I just completed my 3rd month working as a Salesforce dev, and I'm still getting the hang of it. Also, thanks in advance.
PS: I proposed to the area supervisor that they use the quotation marks around the string they're looking for, but it was denied.
tl;dr: I'm unable to return a case by a value stored in a custom Text field, even though it should be searchable, and the profile has access to the field.
Edit: since I was unable to find a solution to this issue, I contacted the Salesforce Support and they told me that this is a known bug indentified in the Summer '21 release, as you all can see in the link below:
As of today (06/Aug/21), there are only 2 possible workarounds to this issue: use the quotation marks around the searched terms, as I had already identified it before, or in Salesforce Classic use the Exact Phrase option. This should return the records you were looking for, but were unable to find.