Quick Question: Is there a difference between a Salesforce Marketing Cloud Reference Block versus an ampscript code like "ContentBlockbyID"? And if you make an update to the source content block, will they both update the content on a cloudpage the next time the page is loaded or update the email before the it is deployed either manually or in a triggersend? I thought they both work the same and that the Reference Block was for non-developers.
The Reference block is nearly 100% identical to the AMPscript ContentBlockByID. This can be verified because if you look at a preview of the email outside the editor (properties tab), it shows
%%=CONTENTBLOCKBYID('12345')=%% in the Reference Block position.
The main differences are:
- You do not get control over the other optional parameters ContentBlockByID() has
- An impression region is automatically created using the name of the content block (I believe) without the option to not include it.
- You are able to use the UI to browse through to find the content block instead of having to have the ID handy when writing the AMPscript.
- You will need to use the UI when replacing the content block association.
- You cannot easily replicate the dynamic capabilities that AMPscript offers.
Otherwise, to my knowledge, they function exactly the same.