When there are bugs in different versions of SFDX CLI and the Plugins: There is a need to switch to another version. But I find uninstalling and re-installing too time consuming. Often people post fixes that refer to a version I am not using, and I wish to give that version a try.
I want to know what is the best way to setup my VSCode and install SalesforceDX and SF CLI etc so that if an issue is introduced into the latest version I am using, I can easily switch to and older version to complete a task and then switch back to the new or different version to continue on?
Options I am looking at, are:
- Based on the Windows downloaded installation: Once installed I want to easily version switch and how is it best to do this? Is it by uninstalling or using a contextual menu to version switch?
- Node Installation. Once installed I want to easily version switch and how is it best to do this? Is it by using node commands to version switch or to use the contextual menu to version switch?
- Happy to receive answers pertaining to MAC or Linux, but my build is currently Windows.
- Maybe there is a generic solution for all OSes?
NB: I have noted that when I install with Node using "SFDX update" no longer updates I get a message telling me to use a Node command to update "npm update --global sfdx-cli"
Issues I am experiencing but are not what I am asking about they are for CONTEXT ONLY:
- SF CLI is not authenticating, so I want to adjust the version i am using to enable the auth until the fix comes out.
- Retrieving metadata, deploying metadata has inconsistent issues various metadata are landing in the wrong folders.
- Was using version 7.89.2. - I upgraded to 7.90.2 and auth issues went away.