I'm unable to deploy a picklist field that was promoted to a global value set to my production environment. The global value set, and the new field in another object that uses it are both OK, but when I try to deploy the original picklist field I get the following error:
Cannot change which global value set this picklist uses.
I've found this is the minimal case to reproduce this:
- Create a custom picklist field with some values in a sandbox environment.
- Deploy this field to your production environment in a change set.
- In your sandbox environment, promote the picklist field to a global value set.
- Deploy the global value set and the upgraded picklist field to production in a change set.
- Receive "Cannot change which global value set this picklist uses." error.
I've tested this case on an all-new object with no actual records, so it's clearly nothing to do with existing data.
What is the solution here? How do I get this change deployed? Deleting the field and recreating it is a non-starter because we already have many flows, classes, and object records using this field.