Asking here to see if anyone knows about this interaction, and hoping to avoid initiating another month or more of frustration trying to work through Salesforce's Customer Support.
The situation is as follows:
- A user is creating a new Case through the Lightning UI
- User is providing a Contact for the case, and is checking the "Send notification email to contact" box
- "Save" button is clicked, starting the record insertion
- A Process is being run, which has an immediate action that updates the Case record being inserted
- The notification email does not get sent to the contact
This is only an issue when the case is created from the Lightning UI. When testing the same scenario, but from the Classic UI, the notification email is sent.
My org is very heavily customized, and the Case object has Process(es) (built using Process Builder), Workflow rules, and a trigger. I don't think those details are relevant though, because I was able to reproduce this in my personal developer edition org (which is still pretty vanilla) by simply creating a process that updates the newly inserted Case record.
What is it about Lightning that causes this failure? Is there a workaround (other than not using Lightning)?
+edit: The following critical update(s) have been applied to the org we're testing this in, prior to our tests for this issue:
- Stop Automated Field Updates from Suppressing Email Notifications