As the name suggests its a Read-Only, so no other permission will be there by default. Provided that the user has a record level permission, it will be able to read/Query the records.
- Q. What if the user assigned to this profile will try to read
- Q. What kind of records this profile is able to read?
The answer to both questions is the same and based on Record Level permission like below,
If the OWD is Public Read/Read Write -
The user with the Read-Only profile can read all the records.
If the OWD Private -
The users with Read-Only profile can read the record if any of these conditions satisfy.
- User is the Owner of Record
- The record is manually shared with the user.
- The record is shared with the user by using Sharing Rule.
- The record is shared with the user by using Apex Sharing.
In case if you want to give edit access to only a specific Object/s only, while keeping other objects Read-Only, you can clone the Read-Only profile and grant the Edit access to those objects using this cloned profile.