I have created a data extension and a group in marketing cloud but not sure what is the basic difference between them? Can we use group in journey builder as entry source?
To start at the basics, there are two types of data structures, which are data extensions and lists. And a group is a segment of a list.
As Journey Builder only works with data extensions, you cannot use a group as an entry source for a journey.
To better understand when to use which data structure, check out the documentation article "List versus Data Extension". Here are the most important facts:
List-Based Data Model
Use the list model when:
- your lists contain 500,000 subscribers or less long term
- you prefer simplicity over performance
- you do not require fast import speed
- you plan to use a limited number of subscriber attributes
- you use the XML API
Data Extension-Based Data Model
Use the data extension model when:
- your lists are going to be greater than 500,000 subscribers
- you support multiple subscriber data sets, with separate definitions
- you send global messages
- you require fast import speeds
- you implement triggered sends
- you use the SOAP or REST APIs
- you prefer a flexible subscription model