need some help with understanding exactly how this works.
First, our setup:
- We have Salesforce CRM and Marketing Cloud
- Connector is up and running, syncing contacts over to MC
- We have a "Master Send DE" which is updated daily via automation
- We send to this Master Send DE
My understanding of expected behaviour:
- You have a subscriber with their SubscriberKey and EmailAddress on All Subscribers (assume they are Active)
- You send to a DE with the same SubscriberKey but a different EmailAddress
- Send is successful
- Search All Subscribers using SubscriberKey and the EmailAddress is now changed to the one used in the recent send
I have tested this and it behaves as described above.
Problem I've run into
- We sent out an eDM to our customers yesterday
- One of our devs received the email that should have gone to a customer (his email is against that customer's SubscriberKey on All Subs - mistake made during testing API - long story)
- The Master Send DE, however, has the correct customer email address against their SubscriberKey, so...
- Based on the above expected behaviour, the email should have gone to the customer's email address regardless and that email address should now be stored against the customer's SubscriberKey on All Subs
- But this is not what happened...
How is this possible? Are there some kind of exceptions to this rule (for example, a DE uploaded manually vs a DE populated via automation?). Or any other reason the expected behaviour didn't happen?