On a standard object layout when you inline edit a single field, all the fields displayed on the layout are updated. Could be possible that only the field(s) that have been modified are updated?
Consider this scenario:
- You are using the Service Console
- You have an Account open as primary tab
- You have a Case related to the account, open as a sub tab
- You close the case using the standard Close button
- Upon the case closure, an apex trigger will update a field called Status on the account from value "OLD_VALUE" to "NEW_VALUE"
- You go back to account primary tab, where the status field is still showing as "OLD_VALUE"
- You inline edit ONLY the account description and Save
As a result, account Status value is again "OLD_VALUE". Saving the account record after an inline edit will override the Status field also (and all others present on layout).