I just received feedback from salesforce marketing cloud technical support and this is a known issue.
Currently scheduled release for this functionality: August '17 Release (wich will occur on 25th August according to Salesforce Marketing Cloud 2017 Release Schedule)
Answer of the technical support team:
Currently we have plans to amend this functionality you've reported as we recognise this is a gap inside the Marketing Cloud and Journey Builder application.
Unfortunately this is classified as 'working as designed' and the project to improve this isn't marked as a Bug within the system, but we do have this in a list of to-do for future JB development.
Currently it looks like we're working to improve this for our August Release but this is just a schedule at present, it's not a definitive so it could get pushed back.
The possible workaround I can think of involves some development and hosting effort, but seems to be the only option until the changes to journey builder are released. Some work of another workaround I built can be reused to reduce the development effort as much as possible. These are the steps needed to set up the workaround I'd like to propose:
- Create and host a custom tracking site/pixel or use an existing service you can query.
- Create and host a custom split activity (could be based on my Salesforce Marketing Cloud - Service Cloud Custom Split Activity)
- Adapt input arguments to include an id unique to the very send you want to track (needs to be information available in the journey and added as parameter to the tracking pixel in the email)
- Instead of querying Service Cloud, check the result of your tracking site/pixel
- Use the custom split activity instead of the engagement split