It's a long story, but we have a group of account in SF that we'd like to make read-only.
Ideally, these records would...
- Remain accessible to the same people they were before
- No longer be editable
- Not allow any new relationships to other objects (e.g. opportunities)
- Be clearly marked as read-only
- Be switched into or out of read-only mode by users in certain roles
Options I've considered include:
- Moving these records to a new user in a role created such that "normal" users are prevented from editing them.
- Adding (a) validation rule(s).
- Using different record types. (I've seen references to this online, but am not sure how to do it.)
The first two of these at least fail to hit several of our requirements. In particular, I'm struggling to work out how I'd achieve #3 and #4.
Has anyone done this before? What approach did you take?