In Journey Builder I'm testing whether updating a contact's Data Extension record that is already in a Journey will update the contact in the Journey.
Here is my test:
Create a Data Extension (Customer) with a few records of Status = 1
Create Journey in Journey Builder with Email Audience entry (no filter) with Entry Audience as "Customer" Data Extension
- Step 1: Wait 15 minutes
- Step 2: Decision Split (If Customer.Status = 999) go to Branch A else go to Branch B
- Branch A: Exit after 1 day
- Branch B: Exit after 1 day
Running the test:
- Activate Journey
- Wait until subscribers of Customer Data Extension are in the "Wait 15 minutes step"
- While records are still in the "Wait 15 minutes step", update some records of the Customer Data Extension and change the "Status" value from 1 to 999 using Contact Builder (Edit records of Data Extensions functionality)
- Wait until the journey completes
- Updated records (Customer.Status = 999) go to Branch A of Journey
- All records go to Branch B of Journey
Is this the expected functionality of Journey Builder?
It seems to me that the record's value should be evaluated at the Decision Split Activity step, but instead I'm seeing only the original values of the Data Extension being evaluated at that step.
This has major implications on how Journeys are built.